3.10.2010

Take Responsibility

You know, it takes an awful lot of willpower and responsibility to do some things in life. One of the most challenging things I think a man can do is to take responsibility for another man's child.

Well, Michael V. Hamilton is one of those men.

When I was younger, I didn't always appreciate having a strong, positive male role model in my life. I'm sure it's because Mike was there that I don't have deeper scars from my traumatic childhood experience. He is a great male role model. The kind of dad that a girl can look at and see qualities that she'd want her husband to have. Does that make sense?

I've known him for as long as I can remember. Mike has always been firm, but rational. I, of course hated everything he was trying to do for me in my younger years. I was an idiotic teen. That was to be expected...

I remember on my high school graduation day, my biological father showing up and congratulating me and spouting about how proud he was of me. I also remember my mom telling me that it was Mike that searched for him and asked him to come... because that was what I thought I needed. I felt like I was incomplete because I didn't know my "real" dad.

I have come to understand that the man that only comes on special occasions does NOT a real dad make. A real dad is one who will come to your house late at night because you smell gas; only to realize it was the fumes from some kind of ant killer. A real dad is one that is there on the mundane days as well as the special occasions.

Mike is that dad. I realize now that I didn't need to meet my biological father to know who I am. I am the way that I am because Mike is my dad. He's the man that raised me from my first memory...

For that, Mike, I thank you so very much. I know I made things tough when I was growing up and that I didn't ever say that I appreciated the things you did and sacrificed for me. I want you to know that I see it now. I am thankful that you were there. I appreciate everything you have done and will continue to do and love you for all of it.

I get it...

2 comments:

Christine Barr said...

this is so beautiful and sweet!! you are both very blessed people indeed!!
in Christ- christine

Mrs. H. said...

With tears in my eyes as I read this post, I am overwhelmed with emotion. Sometimes, as a parent, it's nice to get that acknowledgement that you are appreciated. This was very sweet.

He has been your father from the day he brought you your very own bag of Topsy's popcorn for a movie he was taking us to. You were 2 years old at the time. You were hooked.

When asked, he proudly states he has 2 daughters and a son. All of you guys are treated the same (Of course, you and Shelly say Steff gets preferential treatment). Biology was just something to test the bloodline.

I love this post and very simply stated....I'm glad you get IT!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails