3.30.2009

March 14th-22nd

Well, this marks the week of Spring Break. What did I do? Nothing, really. I just had some leisure time out and about.

I chauffeured Andrew back and forth to the Schlagle Library for a Science Day Camp, went to the movies, got a BZ wax and a pedicure, had lunch with my hubby, and stayed up late every night.

One thing I did do that I had been wanting to do all month long was watch, The Secret Life of Bees. I had spent the time reading the book and really wanted to do some Mrs. P. Kyle comparison/contrast. So, once done annotating the book, I watched the movie. I have to say that I liked the book a lot better.

Don't get me wrong, the movie was good, but because of time constraints, the cinematic representation was limited. I missed how "Our Lady of Chains" as a character, I missed the well developed characters of Sue Monk Kidd's vision. I missed the motif of honey and how it represented sticking together and slowing down to think things through. The feelings that Lily had for Zack were cheated. She loved him so much more in the book than the movie. As much as I wanted to get swept up in the movie, I just couldn't. I found myself wanting to reread the book to get back what I had lost.

The movie was good, the book was fantabulous!

Anyway, here are some tidbits about me-

  • As a young girl, my parents forced me to where a dress each week. I was quite the tomboy in my day...
  • My senior year in high school, I was busted for skipping school and I was suspended for 3 days. I just didn't want to deal with any of it anymore. I needed a brain break and my parents weren't ones for allowing that. I took matters into my own hands and called up a friend to come and get me. It led to a whole big ordeal with me staying out all night and a big blow up in the house. And I learned that it scarred my sister for life, apparently. Scared her onto the straight and narrow pathway, it did. I have yet to find out how it affected my brother... I guess I have always been one for screwing up other people. Do I regret skipping school, no. I needed that for my sanity. Am I sad that it affected so many people in negative ways? Yeah, I guess I am. Would I change any of my actions? Probably not, because those actions made me who I am today...
  • I moved out of my parents house as soon as I graduated! It was something that I needed to do. I think it saved our relationship. I felt claustrophobic and caged in and I needed to get out and do something for me. Now, if I had failed and needed to go back, then that's how it would have been. But, it wasn't like that. I think my parents realized that I needed to be independent and they helped out with things like-getting me a car, buying me some groceries, finding my biological father so that chapter could be laid to rest in my mind and supporting my need to be away... I haven't had to move back yet.
  • Even though I was a tortured soul when it came to biological dad versus step dad, once I put aside my fairy tale images of a father equally as tortured as I was, I realized that Mike has always been my dad. He's been around for as long as I can remember and that's good enough for me. I find that I call him dad a lot more when speaking about him in the presence of others. And with me, using a label as powerful as "dad" around other people is a sure sign that you are part of my inner circle...
  • The same thing goes for the label of "best friend." I have commitment issues about calling someone my best friend. I've had many in my lifetime and out of those many, there are only a few that I would call my best friend.
  • One of my most favorite things to do in the world is sing. Oh, and write. I am a little rusty-crusty when it comes to both of them, but that doesn't stop me from doing either.
  • I like to color. My favorite color is blue. It took me all the way to the 11th grade before I had a favorite color. Before then, I loved every color equally... even brown.

I think that's enough for now. I know I haven't kept up with the 31 days of Kesha, but I've tried. Tomorrow, it is my plan to finish out March with a bangin' wrap up that just oozes KESHA. I will muster up all that I can-in light of recent circumstances-and give it my all.

Fare thee well...

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails